Frequently asked questions
about membership of the
Kitchen Specialists Association
What is the Kitchen Specialists Association?
The Kitchen Specialists Association was formed in 1989, as a professional trade association to support, control and promote the kitchen industry, which in the past had been tarnished with a reputation for unreliability and mismanagement.
The industry has seen the entry and exit of many fly-by-night operators. The aim of the KSA is to promote, improve and advance the status of the industry and to support and assist all persons who are associated with the planning, construction, installation or sale of kitchens.
The mission of the KSA is to create a professional and stable trading environment in which the industry can prosper and consumers can enjoy peace-of-mind.
What are the objectives of the Kitchen Specialists Association?
The prime objectives of the Kitchen Specialists Association are:
- To watch over, defend, protect and advance the interests of (such) persons, firms, or companies.
- To advance knowledge by discussion, inquiry, experiment and other means and to diffuse such knowledge by means of lectures, programmes and publications exchange of information and otherwise.
- to encourage the use of just and proper selling methods and high standards of service and integrity under a code of ethics concerned with both the technical and commercial aspects of kitchen planning and installation. Download code of ethics.
- To provide a central organisation for members of the Association and to elevate the status and procure the advancement of the interests of the members of the Association.
- To give the legislative and public bodies facilities for conferring with and ascertaining the views of such persons, firms and companies and other allied industries.
What are the commercial benefits of joining the Kitchen Specialists Association?
There are many commercial benefits conferred by Kitchen Specialists Association membership.
- Provides its members with a FREE national advertising campaign highlighting the advantages of dealing with a member.
- Provides an opportunity to expose new products to an assembled group through product evenings and/or the Association's newsletter and web site.
- Provides an increased awareness of delinquent companies and individuals within the industry thereby reducing the potential for loss.
- Provides a cost-effective, hassle-free dispute resolution
- Provides preferential consideration for members at several exhibitions throughout the country.
What are the strategic benefits to joining the Kitchen Specialists Association?
- Is the only professional body representing specialist kitchen suppliers, hereby providing members with a legitimate and credible forum from which to approach legislative/registration bodies and, importantly, the consumer, regarding the future scope and direction of the specialist kitchen (and related) market(s).
- Promotes members' businesses by publicising the benefits of buying from specialist retailers, via consumer publicity and advertising.
- Provides improved relationships with major forces within the industry and direct access to decision makers in these businesses.
- Provides training courses: (compiled by experts in the industry) at a nominal charge to members.
- Provides a newsletter and web site giving regular updates of what is happening within the industry.
- Provides regular networking opportunities for members.
What are the criteria for joining the Kitchen Specialists Association?
The Kitchen Specialists Association specifies that prospective members should meet some essential criteria, consistent with the Association's stated aims and objectives.
Prospective members should:
- Be a registered company in terms of South African law.
- Be specialist retailers of kitchen, bedroom, bathroom (or related) products, professionally marketing their goods via permanent product displays in a showroom and/or outlet(s).
- Provide consumers with a specialist service encompassing provision of design, installation and after-sales service for all products supplied.
- Be an established business having been actively involved in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom or related products industries for a minimum of three years.
- Have a sound trading record providing three verifiable trade references from suppliers to the kitchen industry.
- Subscribe to the KSA's Code of Ethics. Download code of ethics.
- Agree to abide by any ruling handed down by the KSA in the event of a dispute.
- Operate above the average industry standards for the supply of specialist kitchen, bedroom or bathroom (or related) products i.e. professional business, the highest standards of customer service and workmanship, and honest ethical business practice.
- Kitchen company members are required to have a showroom.
How much does it cost to join the Kitchen Specialists Association?
The once off entrance fee and annual subscription are as outlined in the membership application form. Members have the choice to make payment of their subscriptions annually, or via monthly debit order.
What is the procedure for joining the Kitchen Specialists Association?
Upon your invitation the Kitchen Specialists Association will arrange for a representative to visit you at your retail premises. At this stage your application for membership should have been completed. The representative will assess your business to ensure that it exceeds the average professional, business and customer service standards operating in the specialist kitchen bedroom and bathroom retail market(s).
You will be requested to provide bank, and trade references (from within the kitchen industry), a copy of your letterhead, plus (for kitchen company members) a list of your previous ten installations.
This information is required to ensure that essential membership criteria is met, and that we can recommend your business to prospective kitchen/bedroom/bathroom suppliers and customers.
Conditional upon the Kitchen Specialists Association's membership and committee approval, you will normally be notified acceptance to the KSA within 30 working days of application.